Books make me so happy. On any given day you will find me on the sofa surrounded by my books. And my planners. And my journals. There are trays all over the house filled with them. I will put one in bed with me, even if I’m too tired to read, cause it makes me feel hygge.
When I was in elementary school I loved reading books so much, but felt like a nerd, so I prayed to God that He would take away my love of books. Thats so embarrassing. Like … who was I even trying to impress?!
Anyways, as I’ve grown in maturity… obviously… I have re-discovered my love for books. But more than the warm and fuzzy feelings that I get from reading, I discovered something really big over the last few years.
In 2016, I learned that reading made me more productive. It didn’t matter what type of book it was… if I was reading, I was also doing.
In 2017, I learned that if I needed to track my read to keep me motivated!
I did not have a clue that this was the case until I looked back through my Good Reads app to see how many books I read for the year. What I found was shocking! I read 9 books for the first 6 months and 1(!!!) book the last 6 months! What happened?!?!
As I thought over it, I realized that there was something I did during the first 6 months that I didn’t do the last 6 months. That was tracking some of my daily and weekly habits with the Done app. I had made a weekly goal read 100 pages a week. There were times that it would be Sunday and I had to read 50 pages to catch up! But I did it, cause that was the Upholder in me.
I’m so glad to be figuring this stuff out, because knowing what motivates me will help me to focus on the right things and not waste time on the things that might motivate others, but not me! (Check out this post if you missed it on planning and tracking tools.)
Now onto the booklist.
In an effort to simplify things, focus on quality, and not get paralysis analysis, one of my goals is to read 15 life changing books for the year. I hope to find 1 amazing book for each goal and a few others for topics outside of my goals. This would help me to let go of books that I’m not getting anything from, and not double up on too many books on the same topic. Another reason for simplifying my book list is so that I will not pursue book reading over Bible reading. You will notice that I added the Bible (and specific books) as one of my “life changing books” for the year and also a book on Biblical Doctrine!
Goal #1 : Make Disciples
1. Emboldened: A Vision for Empowering Women by Tara Beth Leach, Scot McKnight
Goal #2 : Pray Before
2. Too Busy Not to Pray : Slowing Down to Be With God by Bill Hybels
Goal #3: Be Sensitive & Obedient
3. Discerning the Voice of God – Bible Study Book by Priscilla Shirer
4. God’s Power for Your Life: How the Holy Spirit Transforms You Through God’s Word by A.W. Tozer
5. Voice of a Prophet: Who Speaks for God? by A.W. Tozer
Goal #4 : Create More than I Consume
6. 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You by Tony Reinke
Goal #5 : Simplify My Business
7. Simplify : How the Best Businesses in the World Succeed by Richard Koch
Goal #6 : Close the Gaps
8. Finish: Stop Making Perfect the Enemy of Done by John Acuff
Goal #7 : Build Healthy Habits
9. Real Food : What to Eat & Why by Nina Planck
Goal #8 : Be Present
10. Loving My Actual Life: An Experiment in Relishing What’s Right in Front of Me by Alexandra Kuykendall
Goal #10 : Read 15 Life Changing Books
Ummmmm… none or all of them! Depending on how you look at it. Lol!
11. The Glory of Heaven: The Truth About Heaven, Angels, and Eternal Life by John Mac Arthur
12. Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Move Forward by Henry Cloud
13. The Only Sales Guide You’ll Ever Need by Anthony Iannarino
14. The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath by Mark Buchannon
15. Biblical Doctrine: A Systematic Summary of Bible Truth by John MacArthur
16. Bible : Isaiah – Malachi (I linked a journaling Bible similar to the one I use that is under $30!)
Have you guys figured out anything about your reading habits that have helped you to read more and retain more?
2018 Goal Series
*Some of these links are affiliate links!